06 March 2011

A Week in the Life etc, Part II

Fascinating stuff, this!  So I’ve tracked my food intake over the week and run up some totals, with surprising results.  On average I eat just over 1000 calories a day, plus 100 or so odd liquid calories from milk or juices.  Pad this with 500 or 600 calories gained from beer/mixed drinks {an average of 3 or 4 a day} and I’m still short below the 2500 or even 2000 caloric recommendation.  Craziness!  And on average I consume about 2000 mg of caffeine a day, primarily from the 12-cup pot of coffee I have each morning, and averaging a cup of drip coffee to have about 150 mg each. 
If we are what we eat, then as the chart suggests I’m not a whole lot by much.  I believe my low-cal existence can be summed up like this:  on an average day I either skip breakfast, or else eat a piece of toast or lil’ cup of yoghurt with my coffee/tea.  On unplanned-dinner days, lunch tends to be the larger meal of the day.  Mostly having to do with a cup of rice and pan-fried veg and meat or what-have-you.  Scrounge evenings, I’ll have a tin of soup and salad or sandwich; otherwise the roles will be reversed, with a light lunch and more interesting evening meal of pizza or crock-potted pork et al.  I don’t really snack anymore, and I tend to have a beer with dinner, and as the evening winds down another afterwards followed by a cup of warm decaffeinated something.  {Bear in mind the week’s average gets thrown by my evenings on the town Wednesday and Saturday…}
And yet I feel fine.  Going over the stats, I get my daily nutritional needs in terms of vitamins and minerals; I’m quite hydrated in some form or other as well.  So what started as a feeling that I spend my whole days eating, under scrutiny actually turn out to be quite a different case of guerilla small stuffs that tend to be nutritionally constructive.  And it has caused me to look into the effects of high caffeine ingestion, which studies indicate may be the cause of ‘tip of the tongue’ syndrome[i], among other such things.   Now how does that expression go?  Know thyself and...            Hum.
 "Damn, I had it on the plane…"

No comments: