13 September 2011

Bringing Lunda to the World (albeit Chovu-Chovu)

      Halloa, fantabulous blogsters!  For those of you who don't know me personally, I once was a youthful health volunteer in Zambia for the Peace Corps.  Stationed up in the Lumwana East area of Northwest Province, where the language Lunda was king (actually, sharing the throne with Kikaonde).  I was obliged to learn it at an intermediate level, suitable for professional interaction.  With mixed success, mind, but as I was learning I was asked if I would speak it back in Americaland.  While at the time I thought it was a silly notion (one can't even find the vocab for Lunda online, so far as I can tell) I've since wondered why not?  I have the language books, and I've got a mild dusting of the know-how left over.
      Presenting:  Lunda Word of the Day, via my Twitter account.  Every day (maybe twice, if I'm feeling adventurous) I'll add another word or phrase for public consumption.  I suppose there won't be much rhyme or reason to my word choices, just whatever strikes me for the day.  If nothing else, it's a pleasantly selfish jaunt down memory lane.  If something more, it's a verbal injection of a particularly obscure dialect into the online consciousness!

Amba-amba, y'all!

No comments: