09 September 2011

The Winederlust

Just sitting about, listening to records (isn't it grand!!!?) and swilling several bottles of wine.  A song hisses on, and I find myself enthralled by a line...


I wish that I was born a thousand years ago
I wish that I'd sailed the darkened seas
On a great big clipper ship
Going from this land here to that


Such an odd little ditty, yet so succinct.  Fits me just fine, because lord knows I love the sea.  Yet looking back I suppose it's all a pipe dream; hell, looking at the now it's all a pipe dream, eh?  Wish-wash-megosh and the like...


The now is the now.  There is no future perfect, though Autolux has a great album by the same name.  And though life may leave a person cast about the whims of fate, and though a person may likewise cast themselves upon the fates of whim; here is the now is the now, and never the twain should part like.  


I suppose I'm thinking about inane promises to drop the price of gas to pre-Family Matters levels, or maybe proposed drone strikes across and along the Mexican border.  But what I'm saying is more or less echoing the things Jon Huntsman cannot fully come out with; that a vote for the Republican Party is a vote against all reason.  It's a vote against the present, to the very physical damnation of the future.


And that, lads and ladies, is what happens when one dumps two litres of wine down a Dan Rudy.  You get a semi-sensical, non-abrasive rant.  Would that the O'Reilly tipple a bottle before air time!

2 comments:

Adam Luebke said...

Nice jab at the Bachmanns of the world! Everybody should have a Dan Rudy at home, so they can feed it wine and let it spout good verbal insights. Ha! I guess we have this blog. And that's kind of the same thing.

Dan Rudy said...

Those trollops had it coming! Would that every parlor have a drunken Rudy at the beck-and-call; I'd make a damned fine butler, if anything. "You rang, mum?" "You want the social underpinnings of society crushed, suh?" I'd do the Bootstraps McCrackens proud.